Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Artist Spotlight: Brent Wellander

The next artist to be featured in our spotlight series is Brent Wellander, a BC native with a passion for the outdoors and the life within it. Brent's photographs depict a quiet consideration of his subjects, resulting in stunning photographs of animals in their natural habitat. Read on to find out more about the man behind the lens:

Erica: How did you get into photography?
Brent: I developed a love for photography at an early age when my Grade 7 teacher provided darkroom instruction and had us create a manual on the photographic and developing process.

E: What do you love most about it?
B: Being able to freeze a moment in time and sharing it with others. Also the challenge and the satisfaction of capturing an image you can be proud of.

E: How do you choose your subjects and/or locations?
B: Usually they are places I've visited in the past, read about, or tips I’ve received from others.

E: Why did you choose to shoot nature and wildlife?
B: I've always loved the outdoors and wild animals. Photography is a great way to slow down and really take a closer look at an animal’s life and its habitat. Through my photography I’ve also developed a greater appreciation for the natural world and the importance of protecting it.

E: Ever had a scary or interesting run-in with the wildlife you shoot?
B: I can't say I've had a scary experience although there was one Moose I photographed on a couple of occasions who was quite inquisitive and would get quite close. Even though she wasn't aggressive, a wild animal this size in close proximity can still be a little daunting.

E: Favorite photography style?
B: At the moment it would definitely be nature photography with birds in particular, and landscapes a close second.

E: What kind of camera do you use?
B: My newest camera is Canon 7D coupled with a Canon 600mm f/4L IS lens and a 1.4x Extender.

To view more of Brent's work, visit his artist page here

No comments:

Post a Comment