Friday, August 13, 2010

Spotlight on: Peter Gianfrancesco

Here at Vancouver On Canvas we see everything from amateur to professional works of photography; all beautiful in their own way and each with their own style. However, we wanted to shine a spotlight on some of the artists that contribute to our Artist Gallery Program, a new service where by artists can sell their work on our site for others to enjoy. The first installment of this series will feature Peter Gianfranceso; this aussi-born brit uses his background in mental health to capture the person behind the picture and strives to create art out of the ordinary.

Erica: How did you get into photography?
Peter: I started taking photographs 20 years ago as a way of documenting my travels around the world. In the last 6 years I have developed my interest and undertaken training in the united kingdom to qualify as a professional photographer.

E: What do you love most about it?
P: I love finding photographic interest in everyday things and places - it might be a texture or an arrangement of colors or lines. Most of all I love the interesting places and people that i get to experience. The greatest thrill is when somebody gives a photograph a home on their wall!

E: How do you choose your subjects?
P: My subjects tend to choose me. I'll just be somewhere and see something as if I were looking through a lens. Sometimes the subject will look inconspicuous or mundane but I can see the final image in my head.

E: Does a background in mental health and psychotherapy help you in your work? How? 
P: Yes certainly, particularly with portraiture and getting to capture the 'real' person.

E:  Favorite photography style?
P: I love Weston, Ansell Adams, Cartier Bresson and most of the great black and white photographers.

E:  Favorite place/person/thing to shoot? 
P: Exotic out of the way destinations, particularly middle eastern places. I have a house in Maibe and love photographing landscapes as well as old and abandoned houses, cars and discarded things.

E: What kind of camera do you use?
P: I use Canon equipment. My main camera is a 5D Mark 2 and my second camera is a 7D - together they provide a versatile capability. I use premium (L) Canon lenses up to 200mm.

E: An interesting fact about yourself
P: Born in Australia, worked as a tennis coach. Live in England now and spend lots of time in USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment