Thursday, October 28, 2010

Cute Buttons!

Well, I am a little late with this, but last Friday I went to Hot One Inch Action at the Gallery Gachet, and I had a great time.  I heard about this show last year, and when it came around again I penned it in on the old social calender. To inspire you to do the same, I'll tell you the deal:

You walk in, there are little cards pinned to the wall with one-inch buttons on them, you know, the kind everyone has. Except these ones have some neat (and sometimes lame) art and design on them. in the middle of the room is a kiosk where for 5 dollars you can get 5 randomly selected buttons. You get some you want and some you don't want, of course, and so does everyone else. So you put the ones you don't want on your hand, and so does everyone else. Then you trade.

What I found cool about this was that it illustrated the proverbial but often not fully felt truth that everyone likes different things (well, to a point, we all like buttons). One person's lame is another person's neat. I walked away with 10 (the trading was so fun I bought a second bag) buttons that I really like, and with a concrete illustration of the economic principle of trade creating value.

 If you missed this event due to my tardiness in reporting,  you can still catch it in portland Thursday November 11, 2010 (8-11pm) at Backspace (115 NW 5th Ave, Portland OR). Invite your friends to the Portland show on Facebook. The deadline for Portland is 12pm (noon) on Friday November 5.

I for one will be submitting my designs to next year's Vancouver show.

No comments:

Post a Comment